Elizabeth Caldwell Hastings died Feb. 18, 2017, at age 100. She practiced for many years as a pediatrician in the County of Los Angeles clinics. Preceded in death by her husband, T. Newlin Hastings’43M, she is survived by two daughters, two sons, nine grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren. 

Bonta Hiscoe, a retired surgeon, died June 10, 2017. He was 94. Dr. Hiscoe served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy V-12 Program during World War II, based at Great Lakes Naval Training Station. After pursuing a general medical practice in Coal Mountain, W.Va., with his wife, Helen Hiscoe, PhD, he was inspired to write a book, “Appalachian Passage.” He later moved to East Lansing, Mich., where he pursued a private general and thoracic surgical practice and served as chief of surgery at Sparrow Hospital. Retiring from the practice of surgery at age 57, he shifted to medical administration, serving for another three decades as medical director of Health Central, an HMO. He also served as medical examiner for Ingham County and as dean of the College of Human Medicine at Michigan State University. Dr. Hiscoe was honored with a presidential citation from the Michigan State Medical Society and the Key Award for meritorious service from the Michigan Hospital Association. Preceded in death by his wife, Helen, and a daughter, he is survived by three daughters and two grandsons. 

Charles B. “Bun” Terhune, a pediatrician who became a child psychoanalyst, died April 3, 2015. Dr. Terhune, who served as a captain in the U.S. Air Force, joined a group pediatric practice, Summit Medical Group in Summit, N.J. When he retired from his pediatric practice in 1975, he joined his wife, Ruth, in a joint psychoanalytic practice and authored a journal on the psychoanalytic study of children. A past treasurer of the New Jersey chapter of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, Dr. Terhune served as chief of the pediatrics service at Overlook Hospital in Summit, N.J., from 1965 to 1971. Preceded in death by his first wife, Phyllis, he is survived by his second wife, Ruth, two daughters, two sons, nine grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.

Lawrence L. Weed, professor of medicine emeritus at the University of Vermont, died June 3, 2017, at age 93. Following his medical training Dr. Weed pursued basic science research in biochemistry and microbial genetics at Duke University, the University of Pennsylvania, and the U.S. Army Medical Service Graduate School at Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, D.C. He taught on the faculty in the pharmacology and medicine departments at Yale University, where he did research in microbial genetics. Moving to the Eastern Maine General Hospital, in Bangor, Maine, he served as director of medical education and developed standards of data organization in medical records. In 1960 he joined the faculty of the Department of Medicine at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, later taking on the additional responsibilities of director of the outpatient clinics at Cleveland Metropolitan General Hospital. He wrote five books, including the landmark work, “Medical Records, Medical Education and Patient Care.” Shifting his base of operations in 1969 to the University of Vermont, he served as professor of community medicine and headed the PROMIS Laboratory. In 1981 he left academia to create PKC Corp., a company dedicated to developing software tools to link patient data and medical information. His honors included the 1995 Gustav O. Lienhard Award for Advancement of Health Care from the Institute of Medicine. His work influenced the strategic planning of the National Library of Medicine. His extra-medical passion was classical music, and he sang in the Cleveland Orchestra Chorus. Preceded in death by his wife, Dr. Laura Brooks Weed, he is survived by a daughter, four sons, two grandchildren, and two step-grandchildren.  

Gordon Allen, a retired geneticist, died June 13, 2017. Dr. Allen served in the U.S. Air Force during World War II. As an officer with the U.S. Public Health Service, he pursued research in human genetics at the National Institute of Mental Health. In 1980 he was honored with the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Officer Award. In his free time he volunteered to provide health care to the homeless and tutor students preparing for their GED test. He also grafted nut trees and raised moths and butterflies. He once reflected on an alumni questionnaire how “genetics was a backwater of medicine in 1955, but now pervades nearly all of medicine.” Preceded in death by his wife, Jane, he is survived by a daughter, three sons, three grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren. 

Walter S. Wood, a retired internist specializing in infectious diseases, died Feb. 23, 2017. A U.S. Army Air Corps veteran, Dr. Wood served in the 868 Bomb Squadron 13th Bomber Command during World War II and saw combat in the South Pacific. He was awarded the Asiatic Pacific Service Medal with five stars. Dr. Wood taught at the University of Illinois and served as director of the Division of Infectious Disease at Cook County Hospital before moving to Loyola University. He was professor emeritus and former chair of the Department of Community and Family Medicine, professor emeritus of medicine, former chief of the Section of Infectious Diseases, then chief of the Section of General Internal Medicine at Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine. Dr. Wood was a founding member of the group Access to Care, and he helped develop and served as medical director of the Southwest Suburban Center on Aging Medical Clinic in La Grange, Ill. In 1990 he received the Stritch Award, the highest honor bestowed on a Loyola University physician for dedication and commitment to medicine. Survivors include his wife, Mary, a daughter, a son, and three grandchildren. 

Leland M. White, a retired internist who specialized in geriatrics, died April 7, 2017. Dr. White served in the U.S. Army and was based at field hospitals in the UK during World
War II. He received the Most Outstanding Physician Award for Community Service at the Maine Medical Association meeting in 1983. He is survived by his wife,
Carol, and four daughters.

William F. Bernart, a retired internist, died April 6, 2017. Dr. Bernart served in the U.S. Navy, based at the Alameda Naval Air Station in Oakland, Calif. Co-founding partner of the Internal Medicine Group (now Riverside Eastern Shore Physicians and Surgeons) in Nassawadox, Va., he served for many years as an attending at the Northampton-Accomack Memorial Hospital (now Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital); he also served as a member of the Board of Trustees for the hospital, which honored him by naming its entrance road the William F. Bernart Circle. Dr. Bernart taught in the Department of Medicine at the Community Hospital Program of the Medical College of Virginia. Outside of medicine, he was a longtime communicant and lay reader at Hungars Episcopal Church in Bridgetown, Va., was active with the local American Heart Association chapter, and served a term as president and board member of the Eastern Shore of Virginia Habitat for Humanity. The Habitat House was renamed in his honor and that of his wife, Cynthia, who survives him. A committed community member, he and his wife removed trash along the local roadways. In 1990 he was honored as Outstanding Citizen of the Year by the Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce. Other survivors include a daughter, four sons, and nine grandchildren.

Robert T.E. Bishop, a retired internist, died April 18, 2017. He served in the U.S. Army, based in San Antonio, Texas, and later moved to Dallas, where he was medical director for New York Life Insurance before pursuing a private internal medicine practice. Upon his retirement he continued to provide medical and risk assessment advice for insurance companies. In his free time he played the clarinet and sang for more than 40 years in the choir at St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church. He is survived by his wife, Carol, six daughters, two sons, six grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. 

Thorpe M. Kelly, a retired obstetrician/gynecologist, died April 17, 2017, of congestive heart failure. Dr. Kelly served as a doctor in the U.S. Navy, based in Sasebo, Japan, during the Korean War. He pursued a private ob/gyn practice for more than 40 years, delivering more than 10,000 babies. Dr. Kelly was one of the founders of Physicians Insurance, now the largest provider of medical malpractice insurance in Washington state. A scoutmaster in his free time, he led 50-mile hikes. Surviving him are his wife, Lucinda, a daughter, two sons, and five grandchildren.

Robert S. Hirsch, a retired hematologist and general oncologist, died April 8, 2017. He served in the U.S. Army. A member of the clinical faculty in the Department of Medicine at the University of Arizona College of Medicine, where he was honored with the school’s 1994 Distinguished Service in Medical Education Award, Dr. Hirsch was co-director of Advanced Clinical Therapies in Tucson, Ariz., retiring from practice in 1996. He later served as a medical consultant for Social Security’s disability determination process. Survivors include his wife, Harriet, a daughter, a son, and four grandchildren. 

Robert Maslansky, a retired internist and pioneer in methadone maintenance and substance abuse, died June 9, 2017, of a degenerative neuromuscular disease. Dr. Maslansky served as a captain in the Army Medical Corps. In 1968 he founded Minnesota’s first methadone clinic, later serving as director of the substance abuse program at Bellevue-NYU, where he was clinical professor of medicine. Author of 23 peer-reviewed papers, Dr. Maslansky was proudest of a landmark paper he co-authored on methadone’s effects on cardiomyopathy. A fellow of the American College of Physicians, he received the 2005 Nyswander Trophy Award of the American Association for the Treatment of Opiate Dependence. He is survived by his wife, Amelie, a daughter, three sons, and six grandchildren.

Child psychiatrist Paul H. Wender died July 6, 2016. He served as a senior assistant surgeon at the National Institute of Mental Health. Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Utah, where he was also director of psychiatric research, Dr. Wender was a past president of the Psychiatric Research Society. He was best known for pioneering studies on the role of genetics in the etiology of schizophrenia. His description of and work on attention deficit disorder led to widespread recognition, clarification of neurobiologic aspects, and research on appropriate medical and pharmacological treatments. He also authored popular books for nonprofessionals on the conundrums of ADHD. He is survived by his wife, Dr. Frances Burger, three daughters, and a stepson.

William Schwartzman, a retired psychiatrist, died April 25, 2017, at age 80. As a young man he was involved with the establishment of Esalen in Big Sur, Calif., an alternative education center based on humanistic principles. Dr. Schwartzman pursued a private practice in adult and child psychiatry in San Francisco. He was affiliated with the Bay Area-Langley Porter Neuropsychiatric Institute, SF General Hospital, Mount Zion Hospital, and Napa State Hospital. Upon his retirement he worked with the disadvantaged in community clinics. He also worked to promote improvements in the delivery of mental health services and fought against unfair immigration policies. He is survived by two daughters. 

Howard A. Fox, retired chair of the Department of Pediatrics and director of neonatology at Monmouth Medical Center in Monmouth, N.J., died May 15, 2017. Dr. Fox served as a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, stationed at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. He later joined the faculty at Mount Sinai in New York, where he is credited with developing the Jaystork Program for the care of sick newborns, before joining the staff at Monmouth Medical Center. Following his retirement he studied art history at Rutgers University and volunteered in the Department of Drawings and Prints at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Survivors include his wife, Barbara, two daughters, and two grandchildren. 

Richard S. McCray, a pioneer in the development of gastrointestinal endoscopy, died March 12, 2017. Clinical professor of medicine at P&S, Dr. McCray demonstrated the first fiberoptic endoscope in Boston and subsequently introduced endoscopy to New York City. Founding president of the New York Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, he was the recipient of that group’s Distinguished Educator Award. Survivors include his wife, Carol, two daughters, a son, and three grandchildren.

Frank Rees Smith, a longtime professor of clinical medicine at P&S, died Jan. 16, 2017. His research was devoted to cholesterol metabolism and the effects of endocrine disorders on taste. After moving to Houston, he served as medical director in the Department of Medical and Environmental Affairs at Exxon Chemical, overseeing Exxon’s Health Information System in tracking the health of the company’s employees worldwide. In his free time he was an avid birdwatcher and horticulturist and member of the Cape Cod Wildflower Society and the Polly Hill Arboretum on Martha’s Vineyard, where he and his family spent their summers. Also a wine connoisseur, Dr. Smith was elected to knighthood in La Confrèrie des Chevaliers du Tastevin in Burgundy, France. He is survived by his wife, Gwyneth, two daughters, a son, and nine grandchildren. 

1970 MSD
Mahlon Van Rensselaer Freeman died March 19, 2017. Right out of high school he joined the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. He spent more than two decades pursuing research in obstetrics/gynecology at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology and Walter Reed Army Medical Center, where he served as director of education. He also was liaison for the Surgeon General of the Army to the NIH Study Section on Human Embryology and Development; professor of medical genetics at the United Services University of the Health Sciences; and chairman of the Scientific Exhibits Committee, Armed Forces District, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Retiring from the Army in 1978, Dr. Freeman became a medical geneticist with the genetic screening and counseling service of the Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation. He subsequently helped found North Texas Genetic Services in Denton, Texas. His many teaching and administrative responsibilities included serving on the Blue Ribbon Panel of Flow Hospital, lecturing on Medicare fraud and abuse through the Senior Medicare Patrol with the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program, and teaching at the Emeritus College of the University of North Texas. He is survived by his wife, Marcia, four children, and nine grandchildren. 

1972 PhD
Mark Wainberg, a noted HIV/AIDS researcher, drowned April 11, 2017, while swimming in Florida. At the time of his death, he was professor of medicine, pediatrics, and microbiology & immunology at McGill University in Montreal, director of McGill’s AIDS Center, and head of HIV/AIDS research at the Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research. While studying the properties of a new antiviral drug called 3TC, or Lamivudine, Dr. Wainberg discovered its effectiveness against HIV and it soon became, and still remains, part of the AIDS cocktail to treat the disease. He also was known for multiple contributions in the field of HIV drug resistance, and he became an activist to promote greater access to AIDS/HIV treatment. He was director of the Lady Davis Institute at the Jewish General Hospital from 2000 to 2009 and served as president of the International AIDS Society from 1998 to 2000.

Steven J. Collins, a professor of medicine at the University of Washington in Seattle, best known for his research in the molecular genetics of myeloid leukemias, died May 25, 2017, of gastrinoma, a malignant pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor. He was 69. Dr. Collins served for more than 30 years as director of the Molecular Medicine Division at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle. A committed and imaginative researcher, he was, according to a colleague, Dr. Fred Appelbaum, struck early on in his career by the idea that “you could cause a leukemia cell to differentiate and use drugs that were nontoxic to treat it.” That insight helped lay the groundwork for effective retinoic acid therapies for acute promyelocytic leukemia. Before then, researchers opted for toxic agents that killed the immature cells. “Everyone thought about killing the cell, not inducing the cell to grow up,” said Dr. Appelbaum. Dr. Collins’ realization constituted a new way of thinking about cancer cells. Upon learning of his own diagnosis of gastrinoma, he researched the disease and participated in an experimental treatment that gave him several years of remission. Outside the lab he was a competitive player of tennis and golf and loved to take long bicycle rides with colleagues and friends. Dr. Collins is survived by his wife, Kathy, and three sons. 

John F. Hagaman, a cardiologist in group practice in Princeton, N.J., died March 6, 2017. Dr. Hagaman taught on the clinical faculty in the Department of Medicine at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-Rutgers Medical School. He is survived by his wife, Andrea, and two sons. 

Harry Jay Marshall, a pediatrician, died June 18, 2017. Before attending medical school he worked as a specialist in the Space Science and Engineering Department of the University of Wisconsin in Madison. He subsequently served in the U.S. Army Reserves. He pursued a pediatric practice, first at the Gundersen Clinic in La Crosse, Wis., and later at Mound Medical Clinic in Chanhassen and Southlake Pediatrics in Minnetonka. He is survived by two daughters. 

Interventional cardiologist Michael B. Kesselbrenner died of a glioblastoma Feb. 24, 2017. He was 67. As a medical student he came up with the idea of the Super Night celebration the night before Match Day, when students wait with bated breath to learn where they will be pursuing their training. It has since become a cherished P&S tradition. He had a private practice in northern New Jersey and served on the clinical faculty of the Department of Medicine at P&S. He is survived by his life partner, Leslie Golub, two daughters, four sons, and a grandchild.